Total Pageviews

Feb 23, 2011

An New Old Favourite

I used to make this recipe often but had forgotten about it. Yesterday I was cutting up sweet potatoes and chicken but still didn't know quite what I was going to do with them when I remembered this dish.
It is Chicken, Sweet Potato Curry

I used:
1 skinless boneless chicken breast cut up into tiny pieces
1 bunch of asparagus (because I had them and wanted to use them before they ended up in the trash)
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 cooking onion diced
2 sweet potatoes diced**
1 apple juice box,
fish sauce
soy sauce
apple jelly
flour
curry powder

I cut the chicken up into tiny pieces. I mixed together the flour and curry powder in a resealable baggy, i added the chicken and shook the bag to coat the chicken well.
I stir fried the onion, celery and added the coated chicken in my wok using vegetable oil, cooking until no longer pink or visibly raw. Since the chicken pieces were so small it only took a few minutes. then I added the other vegetables and stir fried until they no longer looked raw. Once it was all cooked I added the sauces, and apple juice  a little more curry powder (sorry no quantities, it was all eyeballed) Once it was all close to cooked I added a big spoonful of the apple jelly. Served over basmati rice (which cooks in no time at all!). Enjoyed by hubby and me while the kids ate rice and home made zucchini muffins for their dinner!
** I precooked the sweet potatoes in the microwave to avoid biting into raw chunks of SP - they take a really long time to cook in a stir fry. if you find they are still a bit raw put a cover on your wok for a few minutes and turn heat up to med/high, they kind of boil/steam to perfection.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Goodness. *drool* I recall having this before! I think you cooked it when we were living together!!! Oh, how I miss your cooking! LOL! I'll be in your 'hood at the end of the month. Let's meet up for a bite if we can. xx