Total Pageviews

Mar 17, 2013

Slow cooker turkey

I bought a turkey breast the other day. Something I have never bought before but when i saw it was on sale for a "impossible to resist" price I grabbed it. I threw it into the freezer and had no idea what to do with it. I have cooked  whole turkeys many times but never just one turkey breast (which if big enough can feed a family of eight!!)
While searching for recipes on how to cook it I came across a tonne of them for the slow cooker. The thought had never occurred to me to cook it in the crock pot... so i decided what could be bad???

I sprayed the bottom of the slow cooker with PAM, then I put in the defrosted turkey breast- skin on- and sprinkled it with 1/2 packet of onion soup mix, then covered it with about 1 cup of water. I set in on low for 8 hours and off i went to work. When i came home, the house smelled lovely, and the turkey breast looked delicious. i took it out of the slow cooker (very carefully as it was so tender i could have fallen apart very easily) i let it cool down for about 10 minutes then i sliced it nice and thin. Served with steamed cauliflower and sauteed bok choy we had a very healthy, super yummy and embarrassingly easy meal that everyone (including the kids) ate all up!!!
Turkey breast is now going to be added to my dinner rotation more regularly - will have to keep on the lookout for it on sale more often- lucky for me shopping super early  on Friday mornings means I normally get first pick at all the meat sales at my local super market.

Wish i had taken some pics before it was all gobbled up :)

No comments: